|Developer||Björn Gustavsson (bjorng), Dan Gudmundsson (dgud) and Richard|
|OS||Linux, Windows, OS X, Other Unix|
Open source and completely free for use in both personal and commercial projects.
Wings 3D is a very simple to use 3D polygon modeler. Beginners and/or non 3D artist can feel more comfortable in Wings scarce interface. Most of the commands can be found in the right click menu and variations of the command can be read on the info line. Quoted from wings website the features are:
- Context sensitive interface
- Configurable interface and hotkeys
- Wide range of Selection and Mesh tools
- Exports to common 3d file formats like .obj
- UV mapper, Vertex Colors, Materials, and Lights
Wings has a simple interface. Right-click menus give you easy access to common commands. These menus are context sensitive, so depending on your selection, a different menu pops up.
Hovering over any menu item will display a brief description of the command in the Info Line at the bottom of the main window.
Variations to commands are listed in the Info Line. Many commands let you pick an extra vector or point that the command should operate upon. Command variations are initiated by selecting the command using the different mouse buttons. In the Info Line, the mouse buttons are abbreviated to L, M, and R.
Wings 3D has a comprehensive set of mesh modeling and selection tools.
- Standard tools such as Move, Scale, Rotate, Extrude, Bevel, Bridge, Cut, and Weld.
- Advanced tools including: Sweep, Plane Cut, Circularise, Intersect, Bend, Shear, and Inset.
- Magnets and Magnet Masking
- Virtual Mirror for symmetrical modeling
- Tweak and Sculpt
- Edge Loop and Edge Ring selection and navigation tools
- Smooth Preview
- Much, MUCH more!
Add textures to your model using the AutoUV facility. AutoUV helps you cut and unfold an image of your model’s surface, which you can then export for painting and texturing.
Wings is written in English but has been translated into various languages including: